- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped peeled baking apples
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups chopped walnuts
- Red food coloring, optional
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Combine oil, eggs and vanilla; add to dry ingredients and beat well. Fold in apples and walnuts (batter will be thick). Spread into two greased 8-in. round cake pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until cake tests done; cool. For frosting, combine flour and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Set aside, uncovered, at room temperature for 20 minutes. In a mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla. Add salt and cooked flour mixture; beat until smooth. If you wish to "write" on the cake with frosting, reserve 1/4 cup and tint with red food coloring; set aside. Use remaining frosting to frost between layers and on top and sides of cake. If desired, use the red frosting and a round decorator's tip to add "Happy Birthday" on top. Carefully press walnuts around sides. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forGrandparent's Birthday Cake
"This is nice recipe. Last weekend i tried this."
"Holy cow! 34 grams of fat per piece! Any tips for someone who wanted to scale that fat down a little?"