- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1. Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, water and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture, and mix well.
- 2. Shape into two rolls; wrap in plastic. Chill 4 hours or overnight.
- 3. Preheat oven to 375°. Cut rolls into 1/4-in. slices; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned, 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
1 cookie: 84 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Nov 12, 2018Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe from your grandpa. These cookies take me back to my grandparents' farm by reminding me of some of my grandmother's cookie recipes . . . sugar cookies, sour cream cookies, etc. This recipe caught my eye with the brown sugar and it is one I will make again. For people who like sweeter cookies, a bit of sugar sprinkled on the top of the slices before baking would be something to try. For people
Oct 22, 2009
There is nothing more classic, or humble than this recipe! I remember my Grandmother wrapping and putting rolls of this dough in the freezer. We always mixed dough in quantity, on the farm. This cookie is soft, chewy and keeps well!
Dec 31, 1969
These cookied are really delicious. They bake up soft and chewy.