- 2 cups butter or margarine, softened
- 4 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, water and vanilla; mix well. Combine remaining ingredients; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into three rolls; wrap with plastic wrap. Chill 4 hours or overnight. Cut rolls into 1/4-in. slices; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: about 10 dozen.
Reviews forGrandpa's Cookies
"There is nothing more classic, or humble than this recipe! I remember my Grandmother wrapping and putting rolls of this dough in the freezer. We always mixed dough in quantity, on the farm. This cookie is soft, chewy and keeps well!"
"These cookied are really delicious. They bake up soft and chewy."