Grandmother's Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce Recipe
Comforting is the best way to describe this lovely, flavorful bread pudding. And the drizzle of tangy lemon sauce offers a little zing!
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups cubed day-old white bread
- 4 cups cubed day-old wheat bread
- 1/3 cup raisins
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups cold water
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in bread cubes and raisins. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 2. For sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and water in a large saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 4. Remove from the heat; gently stir in lemon juice and butter. Serve with bread pudding. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 cup: 344 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Grandmother's Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC