Grandma Zauner’s Dobosh Torte
This rich torte has been a tradition in our family for many years. My mother still serves it on Christmas Eve as a birthday cake for the Christ child.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line two greased 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease and flour the waxed paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks for 2 minutes. Add 3/4 cup sugar and beat for 3 minutes until mixture is thick and pale yellow and falls in a ribbon from beaters. Beat in vanilla.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Fold flour into egg yolk a third at a time. Stir in a third of the whites. Fold in remaining whites. Spread into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in another large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, chocolate, milk and vanilla until smooth. In a chilled small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold into chocolate mixture.
- To assemble, split each cake into two horizontal layers. Spread 1 cup frosting on one layer. Repeat using all layers. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Sprinkle with grated chocolate if desired. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 330 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Grandma Zauner's Dobosh Torte in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.