VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the sugar, applesauce, egg whites, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes (dough will be slightly sticky). Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. use floured hands to shape into rolls. Place on two baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Grandma's Yeast Rolls in Country Woman March/April 2004, p36
Reviews forGrandma's Yeast Rolls
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 8, 2012
"Yeast rolls are always a big hit at any meal ."