My mother made these hearty meatballs when we were growing up, and now my kids love them, too. My daughter likes to help shake the meatballs in flour. —Karin Ness, Big Lake, Minnesota
Recommended: 37 Marvelous Meatball Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 10 crackers)
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, divided
- Hot mashed potatoes
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Mix first four ingredients. Add beef and sausage; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls; toss with 1/4 cup flour, coating lightly.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs over medium-high heat. Add 2 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until meatballs are cooked through, 5-6 minutes.
- Remove meatballs with a slotted spoon. Mix the remaining flour and broth until smooth; add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Return meatballs to pan; heat through. Serve with mashed potatoes. If desired, sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Grandma's Swedish Meatballs in Simple & Delicious October/November 2016