Grandma's Stuffed Yellow Squash Recipe
- 1 medium yellow summer squash
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 slices bread, toasted and diced
- 1. Place squash in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover and cook for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- 2. When cool enough to handle, cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out and reserve pulp, leaving a 3/8-in. shell. Invert shells on paper towel.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the egg substitute, onion, salt and pepper. Stir in toasted bread cubes and squash pulp. Spoon into squash shells.
- 4. Place in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Yield: 2 servings.
1/2 each: 103 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 490mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Grandma's Stuffed Yellow Squash
"This recipe deserves the ultimate credit! I doubled the recipe to suit my needs and the results were delicious. I did add cheddar cheese and used real eggs. The only advice I would give would be to assemble them right before you need them to prevent soggy bread. Again, great recipe and thanks for sharing!!!"
"I can't wait to try this one!"