Total TimePrep: 40 min. + standing Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes4 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped almonds
- 1-1/2 cups chopped candied citron
- 1-1/2 cups red candied cherries
- 3/4 cup chopped candied pineapple
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup brandy
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the almonds, citron, cherries, pineapple and raisins. Stir in brandy. Cover and let stand for several hours or overnight, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a very large greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a floured surface. Knead fruit mixture into dough (knead in more flour if necessary). Divide into fourths. Roll each portion into a 10-in. x 8-in. oval. Fold a long side over to within 1 in. of opposite side; press edges lightly to seal. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 220 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 16, 2016
I've now tried this recipe two years in a row and both times it was a disaster. They just don't rise when made like this, and you end up with little bricks. You HAVE to proof the yeast first. We have successfully made this recipe by proofing the yeast first, but I would suggest finding a different recipe to ensure that it turns out well.