Grandma’s Spring and Summer Torte
This easy-to-make torte is a wonderfully light dessert and its tart and sweet taste is delicious. I make it often for potlucks and everyone seems to enjoy it.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or evaporated milk
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- For crust, combine flour, sugar and salt in a small bowl. Cut in the butter, egg yolks and vanilla until crumbly. Press mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine filling ingredients; pour over crust. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until filling is set.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff and glossy. Spread over filling and bake for 10-12 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 359 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Grandma's Spring and Summer Torte in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.