Grandma's Rice Dish Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in rice, tomatoes, corn, olives, bacon and seasonings; heat through. Stir in 1 cup cheese until melted.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Toss bread crumbs with butter; sprinkle over top.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 719 calories, 37g fat (18g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 1397mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 41g protein.
Reviews for Grandma's Rice Dish
"Delicious!! Used 1 can diced tomatoes with chipotle peppers, REAL bacon bits, added 1/2 tsp cumin, about 1/4 c water (it seemed a bit dry) and left out the bread crumbs. This will become a favorite."
"I changed out taco seasoning for chili powder to taste. I changed out tomatoes and juice for a can of tomato sauce, because my kid doesn't like cooked chunky tomatoes. It was a delicious meal, despite the changes!!!"
"This was horrible. The bread crumbs made it that much worse. Don't waste the ingredients like I did."
"I love this recipe. It is a good family favorite. I generally add 1 can of rinsed canned black beans to the mix. It is delicious! It tastes like the dishes that I was served in Brazil."
"This is pretty good but nothing i'd make too often. A little bit bland."
"It was a good recipe for something different. I love the "all-in-one" idea that it has veggies and starch and meat in one dish. But it's not something that I would keep making on a weekly basis. Was good, even though I didn't have the peppers or bacon. Thanks!"