Grandma’s Pumpkin Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2-2/3 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2/3 cup water
- 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, pumpkin and water (mixture will appear curdled). Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture until blended. Stir in nuts.
- Transfer to two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 179 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Nov 10, 2014
Sep 25, 2012
Loaves turned out just like the picture but I would recommend flouring the pans too as one of mine stuck on the bottom. Very moist. Kind of mild flavor. I think next time I'll increase the seasonings just a smidge.
Sep 5, 2012
Wonderful recipe.. mmm makes the house smell like Thanksgiving. Thanks