- 2 day-old hard rolls
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 to 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Tear rolls into 1/2-in. pieces; place in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with water and squeeze dry.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add torn rolls; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- In a small bowl, combine potatoes, egg, nutmeg and bread. Add enough flour to achieve a shaping consistency. With floured hands, shape mixture into 3-in. balls.
- Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil. Carefully add dumplings. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of dumplings comes out clean. Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Heat 4-6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm dumplings with butter. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forGrandma's Potato Dumplings
"TO: schmievi46 - the recipe says to use two day old hard rolls. Not 2 day old...........but two rolls."
"The recipe did not say how many hard rolls."