Grandma’s Pecan Rum Bars
My grandmother handed down the recipe for these gooey bars, which we all love. The candied cherries are a must. —Deborah Pennington, Decatur, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 4 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 4 cups chopped pecans, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups red candied cherries
- 1-1/2 cups chopped candied pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped candied citron
- 1/3 cup rum
- Let eggs stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sprinkle 3 cups pecans over a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add flour to creamed mixture, beating well.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Combine candied fruit and remaining pecans. Spread fruit and pecans evenly over creamed mixture; press gently to help mixtures adhere. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Sprinkle rum over the top; cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 401 calories, 22g fat (6g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 123mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Rum bars in Taste of Home December 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.