VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 large eggs
- 4 cups chopped pecans, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups red candied cherries
- 1-1/2 cups chopped candied pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped candied citron
- 1/3 cup rum
- Let eggs stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sprinkle 3 cups pecans over a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add flour to creamed mixture, beating well.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Combine candied fruit and remaining pecans. Spread fruit and pecans evenly over creamed mixture; press gently to help mixtures adhere. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Sprinkle rum over bars; cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Grandma's Pecan Rum Bars in Taste of Home December 2017