"We converted some bread recipes from my husband's grandmother for use in the bread machine," writes Jeannie Thomas, Kokomo, Indiana. "This dark, slightly sweet bread is great toasted."
Recommended: 24 Christmas Puddings for the Holiday Season
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup warm milk (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 cups bread flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (about 1-1/2 pounds).
Originally published as Grandma's Molasses Bread in Quick Cooking November/December 1999, p41
Reviews forGrandma's Molasses Bread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 16, 2016
"I have been making this recipe for years-it is the best rye bread recipe I have found - it rises nicely which some recipes do not"