Grandma’s Mac and Cheese
"Here's a must-have for any cheese lover's recipe box," promises Melissa Bower from Carbondale, Illinois. "The creamy side dish is easy to make and gets rave reviews from everyone who tastes it."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses and Worcestershire sauce; stir until cheese is melted. Fold in macaroni.
- Pour into a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 474 calories, 23g fat (15g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 1022mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Originally published as Grandma's Mac and Cheese in Cooking for 2 Spring 2005