- 2 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 package (3 ounces) lemon-flavored gelatin
- 2 cups ice cubes, divided
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange-flavored gelatin
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, liquid drained and reserved
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 3 large bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- COOKED SALAD DRESSING:
- 1 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 cup whipped topping
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup water and lemon gelatin. Add 1 cup ice cubes, stirring until melted. Add pineapple. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; refrigerate until set. Repeat with orange gelatin, remaining water and ice. Stir in marshmallows. Pour over lemon layer; refrigerate until set. For dressing, combine pineapple juice, sugar, egg, cornstarch and butter in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. cover and refrigerate overnight. The next day, arrange bananas over gelatin. Combine dressing with whipped topping; spread over bananas. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews forGrandma's Gelatin Fruit Salad
"My family, young and older alike, loved this."
"I searched for this recipe for years, until a cousin finally found it for me. This is almost exactly the way my mother used to make this!My mother used all lemon gelatin (I used a box of lemon and a box of pineapple) and made just one layer with all of the fruit and marshmallows stirred in. She didn't use egg in the topping, but I followed the recipe here and did, and it tasted just as I remember it.My gosh, is this delicious! The Cheddar cheese is just the right touch for the sweetness of all that gelatin, marshmallows, etc. Thank you so much for posting this!"