Grandma’s Favorite Hot Cross Buns
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 15 min./batch
- 4 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups canola oil
- 8 large eggs
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 13 to 15 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-2/3 cups raisins
- 2 teaspoons water
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a very large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add oil, eggs, egg yolks, sugar, cinnamon, salt, cardamom, yeast mixture and 10 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Stir in raisins.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Divide into 72 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart in four greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Combine egg whites and water; brush over tops. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. For icing, combine confectioners' sugar, butter and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Pipe a cross on top of each bun.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 219 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 4, 2018
Very good. I 1/4 the recipe, because I did not need 6 dozen.
Feb 29, 2016
I wonder do you really mean 2 CUPS of oil? It seems a lot compared to other recipes for Hot Cross buns
Feb 13, 2016
I haven't tried to bake these yet but I will soon. I wonder if substituting coconut oil for the canola oil would work. I hate to use that stuff, now that we know it's so bad for ya.
Apr 2, 2015
This is a great recipe! I think that it's the best that I have ever eaten. I added two cups of sugar and heaping teaspoons of the cinnamon and cardamom. We like the sweeter dough and more spice. I also added diced candied pineapple and mango with the raisins for more flavor. I added at least 2 cups candied pineapple and mango. Made a full recipe and shared!
Apr 18, 2014
I have made this recipe several times now, and my family's likes it a lot!! The first time I made the full recipe, and it does make a full 6 dozen, too many for my family of 4. I have since cut it in half and still get 3 dozen 2 oz rolls. It has become an Easter favorite!!
Mar 21, 2013
I am an experienced bread maker and have never had anything turn out like this. The recipe only made 38 instead of 72 and they looked nothing like the picture. I have reviewed the recipe and cannot see where I went wrong. Also the taste is a big thumbs down.
Apr 9, 2011
This recipe has become a staple in our house. Yes, the recipe is ginormous but cut it in half and make it in the bread machine. Very good and impressive.
Apr 7, 2011
The flavor was not what i expected. They raised up ok, but they weren't special. My family members each ate one and were done! A lot left over.
Apr 7, 2011
These were too heavy.....not light like I expected.
Apr 2, 2010
Hot cross buns are an Easter favourite in our home and one we make every single year. This recipe simply adds to what we do and it's very delicious. We will be making them many more times and using this recipe, as it's so good and so easy to make.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.