Grandma’s Corn Bread Dressing
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + cooling Bake: 45 min.
Makes12 servings (2/3 cup each)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk. Pour oil into an 8-in. ovenproof skillet; place skillet in oven 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Carefully tilt and rotate skillet to coat bottom with oil; add batter. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven setting to 350°. For dressing, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Coarsely crumble corn bread into skillet; toss to combine. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, condensed soup and seasonings; stir into bread mixture. Stir in broth.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake 45-55 minutes or until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 236 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 969mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 27, 2018
I’ve been making this for decades and I’ve never used flour. Also southerners put lots of sage and poultry seasoning. I do not sauté onions or celery. Everyone loves my dressing!
Oct 27, 2018
I love this recipe! Its the same,or nearly the same, that she used. I had rather have it that any of the sides brought to our Thanksgiving dinners and believe me , there are several sides!!!
Nov 9, 2016
Thank you, thank you for this recipe!! It was very helpful for the cornbread recipe to be included as it has been many years since I have made basic southern cornbread. My only adjustments were to add 3 chopped hard boiled eggs and some shredded chicken (just like my mother's recipe) and I put together my own poultry seasoning of thyme and sage. Also, I did not saute the onion and celery; just chopped and mixed in to the crumbled cornbread.
Jan 4, 2016
I made this dressing for the first time on 12/17/15 and it was very moist and tasty. I admit that I had made adjustments on this recipe when I'd prepared it and I'd used a greased and floured 12x6" loaf pan to bake the dressing. Thank you for sharing this recipe, Suzanne Mohme! delowenstein