Grandma's Christmas Bread Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups warm milk (70° to 80°)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In bread machine pan, place the first seven ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- 2. Just before the final kneading (your bread machine may audibly signal this), add the raisins, currants and lemon peel. In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over cooled bread. Yield: 1 loaf (about 2 pounds).
1 slice: 178 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Grandma's Christmas Bread
"I added candied orange peel instead of lemon peel.Has risen beautifully."