- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pie shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a saucepan, mix sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt; gradually add milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir about 1 cup of the hot filling into the egg yolks. Return to saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Pour hot filling into pie crust. For meringue, immediately beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until stiff and glossy. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing meringue to pie crust. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forGrandma's Chocolate Meringue Pie
"Too runny is an understatement. I followed the directions, and the pie did not set. I am not sure what went wrong."
"It was probably my fault but I followed the directions exactly. I Too had to use a straw for it. :-( I should have read the reviews first."
"Beautiful and delicious! Followed recipe exactly with no problems. Very easy! Will definitely make again."
"This pie tasted fine; however, it looked terrible. The merengue was flat and there was a lot of weeping on top. Obviously the directions need improvement."
"I made two chocolate pies today with no problems , but I noticed that after they had sat for a while there was a lot of sweat forming , I didn't know what to do about this . I wonder if refrigeration would help ?"
"easy and delicious !"