- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pie shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a saucepan, mix sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt; gradually add milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir about 1 cup of the hot filling into the egg yolks. Return to saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Pour hot filling into pie crust. For meringue, immediately beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until stiff and glossy. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing meringue to pie crust. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forGrandma's Chocolate Meringue Pie
"pie turned out beautifully and the filling was smooth and thick when I made it, but when I cut into it to serve dinner guests last night it had turned to liquid; I did temper the eggs. I’ve racked my brain as to why that would happened; I feel somewhat better knowing I wasn’t the only one that had a liquid pie...I can’t figure this one out! Taste was good...otherwise it was a disaster."
"The directions are the problem. The reason SI many people have running filling is because the directions should say to TEMPER THE EGGS BY PUTTING A CUP IF THE THICKENED FILLING INTO THE YOLKS WHILE STIRRING THEM VIGOROUSLY. THEN PUT THE YOLK MIXTURE INTO THE POT AND CONTINUE TO COOK IT, Stirring continuously for ...minutes. The original instructions leave out returning the egg yolk mixture to the pot."
"DON’T TAKE THE CHANCE. I literally created a log in just so I could rate this pie. I followed the instructions to a tee, and I don’t even want to wait for this thing to chill, I just want to throw it all in the trash without even tasting it. Total liquid at the top. Your grandma was right to apologize. chocolate instant pudding in a pie crust would have had a better review. So disappointing. Please remove this recipe."
"RUNNY. We are experienced pie makers. How is it that this is runny for many people who made it, and perfect for quite a few others????"
"It is amazing and it was my first pie it turned out great!!!!"
"SO RUNNY!! The flavor was good but it did not set at all. The flavor was good for both the chocolate and the meringue. I did not change anything in the recipe and followed the directions exactly. Did not cut it until it was completely cold. Total failure. Gave 2 starts because the flavor was good but didn't work as a pie."
"Didn't change anything. Awesome pie."
"Too runny is an understatement. I followed the directions, and the pie did not set. I am not sure what went wrong."