- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2-1/4 quarts cold water
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped peeled potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- Snipped fresh parsley, optional
- Place the chicken, water, bouillon, peppercorns and cloves in a stockpot. Cover and bring to a boil; skim foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Strain broth; return to stockpot.
- Remove chicken and set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and skin and cut chicken into chunks. Cool broth and skim off fat.
- Return chicken to stockpot with soups, vegetables and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Uncover; increase heat to a gentle boil. Discard bay leaf.
- For dumplings, combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir in egg, butter and enough milk to make a moist stiff batter. Drop by teaspoonfuls into soup. Cover and cook without lifting the lid for 18-20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews forGrandma's Chicken 'n' Dumpling Soup
"Grandma NEVER made dumpling soup with and cream canned soups, are you kidding me."
"Excellent dumpling recipe...only recommendation would be to sift all your dry ingredients together, wisk together the egg and 3/4 cup of the milk and add to your dry ingredients slowly mixing till lumpy, then combine butter and 1/4 cup milk together and slowly add into the dumpling mix to smooth it out. Let it stand for a few minutes to get fluffy. They will come out perfectly."
"This review is only for the dumplings. I used this recipe of dumplings to top my own homemade soup. I've cooked and baked for many, many years and have made my own noodles, gnocchi, spaetzle, etc but I've never made dumplings; I've never even tasted them. Because of the high reviews I decided to use this for my first attempt at dumplings. My family loved them. I'm not sure if they are the way dumplings are supposed to be, but I imagine they were true to the recipe--light fluffy and very easy. They will be a staple in my home from now on. The only change I made was to add a 1/2 tsp of sugar. Also, I very lightly sprinkled them with parmesan. They were yummy but would have been good with or without.One tip--use a large kettle with a glass lid. Much easier to tell when they look done."
"Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! This soup was delicious. I made it for a soup supper at church. I started it on the stove the day before and then placed in the fridge overnight. The next day I reheated and placed in a huge crock pot. I made the dumplings about two hours before I left so they could steam in the crock pot and sprinkled parsley before I left for the supper. Everyone loved it and raved about the dumplings! Way to go Grandma!"
"My family loves this soup; it's so delicious that my vegetable-hating hubby even happily ate it & took leftovers in his lunch the next day! Not sure why people had problems with the dumplings. Don't over-mix the batter. Love the addition of the whole peppercorns & cloves. A very unique soup for cold winter evenings."
"We enjoyed eating the soup!"
"I will make this tonight. I read the reviews and will take them into consideration. I will definitely keep Dr. Brown 22's in mind who thought it was to salty and not use 3 billion cubes in mine. No wonder it was a tad bit salty plus I don't think I could afford that many bouillon cubes. Lol"
"I'm sorry but these dumplings are horrible.....my 7 year old says they are like mushy balls of snot....He's right tho....they fall apart and are just mushy nasty slime wads.....I agree with another review....worst dumplings ever....."