- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 7 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the oats, flour, dry pudding mix and baking soda; gradually add to the cream mixture and mix well.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 7 dozen.
Reviews forGrandma's Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
"Wish my Grandma had made cookies like this. These were fantastic. This recipe was really fun to fool around with. Instead of using quick oats I used Bob's Red Mill Extra Thick Oats. I substituted by weight and not volume. I divided the recipe and put Raisinets in part; peanut butter cup chips in some and bittersweet chocolate chips, dried cherries and walnuts in the third portion. I used a size 20 scoop and got 54 cookies. I baked at 350 degrees 13 minutes. I added 1 t. of salt to the recipe, but I would not do that again."
"Lost this recipe and was in a panic, it's a favorite of all my family. It is a huge batch and hard to mix, so cut in 1/2 and use hook beater to mix or a strong husband to help. So worth it - Thanks for sharing -"
"This recipe is easily cut in half. The cookies are rich and taste great! They will not last long in this house."