My Grandma was very special to me. She had a big country kitchen that was full of wonderful aromas anytime we visited. This was one of her prized cake recipes, which continues to be a favorite from generation to generation. —Denise Strasz, Detroit, Michigan
Recommended: Grandma’s Best Baking Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups shredded carrots (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Beat first four ingredients until well blended. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Stir in carrots and walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack; cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Spread over cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Grandma's Carrot Cake in Simple & Delicious April/May 2018