- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Whipped cream, optional
- Toss blackberries with 2 tablespoons of flour; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs; beat well. Combine baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves, allspice and remaining flour; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in blackberries. Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until the cake tests done. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forGrandma's Blackberry Cake
"We harvest a lot of blackberries from our bushes every summer. This is one of my husband's favorite blackberry desserts"
"Excellent recipe. I made this three times in a week and everybody I shared it with loved it, too. Doesn't need icing. Made it just as written."
"It turned out so good! It was moist and beautiful. Would definately make again!!"
"I cannot wait to pick blackberries again for use in this recipe.eatwell68 from Charleston, WV"