Grandma’s Berry Tart
With seven children and 12 grandchildren, our household is always busy. But everyone makes time for a slice of this fruity pie from my grandma.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup each fresh blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Additional sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 13-in. circle. Transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate.
- Place the berries in a large bowl. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, lemon peel, vanilla, ginger and allspice; add to berries and toss gently to coat. Pour into crust. Fold edges of pastry over filling. Brush folded pastry with milk; sprinkle with sugar.
- For topping, combine the sugar and flour in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 400° for 50-55 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 328 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Grandma's Berry Tart in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.