While growing up in Italy in the 1900s, my mother lived a very basic life. But when Easter Sunday arrived, my grandmother would make this dessert as a special treat.
Recommended: 30 Timeless Family Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 14 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 cups milk
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, combine the eggs and sugar; mix well. Stir in the milk, ricotta cheese, rise, pineapple, evaporated milk and vanilla. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish and a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 20-22 servings.
Originally published as Grandma's Baked Rice Custard in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p162