Grandma’s Apple Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup rye flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 3/4 cup sweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg, apple juice, applesauce and oil until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pecans.
- Pour into 2 greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 108 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 112mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Sep 15, 2010
Family really liked it and I like its versatility. Nice basic recipe.Very easy for kids to make and enjoy for breakfast or take in school lunches. I used homemade unsweetened applesauce, pinch of nutmeg and oat flour instead of rye. (I just blend rolled oats to flour consistency and swap for part of white flour in baked goods.) I also used white whole wheat flour instead of all purpose. Next time will try cider instead of apple juice.
Dec 7, 2009
This recipe is very moist and tasty and is great for anyone watching their fat content and cholesterol.
Feb 10, 2009
We do not care for rye brea etc. Could you use plain A/P flour for this bread and also does it turn out nice and moist. Thanks