Grandma Buelah’s Apple Dumplings
Buelah and Harry Hughson settled in Sioux County, Nebraska in the early 1900's. Grandma had a reputation for being a talented musician, avid card player and a marvelous cook! I always make a double batch of her dumplings for my husband and our four children.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 6 small tart apples, peeled and cored
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup maple or maple-flavored syrup, warmed
- On a floured surface, roll out pastry to an 18x12-in. rectangle. Cut into six 6-in. squares. Place an apple on each square. Combine sugar and cream and spoon into apple center. Moisten edges of pastry; fold up the corners to center and pinch to seal.
- Place on an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake 30 minutes longer or until golden brown, basting twice with syrup. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 537 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 89g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.