- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 13x9-in. baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Fold in apples and pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar (mixture will be soft). Spread over cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 18 servings.
Reviews forGran's Apple Cake
"This cake is so yummy. I also diced the apples and left out the raisins. It's good with or without the icing."
"This is very good cake but if I’m making it for a smaller group it’s to much I’m wondering if I can freeze some of it"
"Excellent moist cake. easy to put together. I agree with other reviewers that dicing the apples makes it even better. The cake is loaded with apples. I personally do not put in the nuts or raisins, but I am sure both are great options. The frosting is delicious as well. Definite 5 stars on this one !!"
"So moist and deliousous. Love apple cake but this one really stands out!"
"AWESOME APPLE cake: I made this cake without the icing and it was incredible. I have used several different apple cake recipes in the past but never one that uses 6 cups of diced apples. It's loaded with apples. I intend to throw out all other apple cake recipes and keep this one. IT REALLY IS THAT GOOD!"
"I live apple cake this one looks n sounds great."
"Very nice and moist, will make again"
"I have this recipe in my TOH cookbook. I LOVE THIS RECIPE. It is seriously delicious and somewhat healthy if you eat the portion size and not too much more. I like to freeze portions so don't eat too much at once, and it stays fresh that way."