- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 13x9-in. baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Fold in apples and pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar (mixture will be soft). Spread over cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 18 servings.
Reviews forGran's Apple Cake
"Excellent moist cake. easy to put together. I agree with other reviewers that dicing the apples makes it even better. The cake is loaded with apples. I personally do not put in the nuts or raisins, but I am sure both are great options. The frosting is delicious as well. Definite 5 stars on this one !!"
"So moist and deliousous. Love apple cake but this one really stands out!"
"AWESOME APPLE cake: I made this cake without the icing and it was incredible. I have used several different apple cake recipes in the past but never one that uses 6 cups of diced apples. It's loaded with apples. I intend to throw out all other apple cake recipes and keep this one. IT REALLY IS THAT GOOD!"
"I live apple cake this one looks n sounds great."
"Very nice and moist, will make again"
"I have this recipe in my TOH cookbook. I LOVE THIS RECIPE. It is seriously delicious and somewhat healthy if you eat the portion size and not too much more. I like to freeze portions so don't eat too much at once, and it stays fresh that way."
"want to make this but only have cinnamon flavored applesauce will that work?"
"Amazingly moist cake! I used Honeycrisp apples and chopped them very fine. Added more cinnamon, some ground cloves and ground ginger as we like apple stuff nice and spicy. Husband made me take it to work so he wouldn't eat the whole thing!"