Grammy's Oat Rolls Recipe
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon honey, divided
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, whole wheat flour, butter, 2 tablespoons honey, molasses and salt. Stir in boiling water; cook for 110°-115°. Dissolve yeast in warm water; add remaining honey and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir yeast mixture into oat mixture with egg and enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place in two greased 8-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 16 rolls.
1 each: 155 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Grammy's Oat Rolls
"A nice soft, but wholesome, roll that would be great with a bowl of soup. I will definitely make these again!"