Gram’s Cheesy Potatoes
For my family, comfort food often comes in the form of a potato with gooey, cheesy goodness. No gathering or special occasion is the same without it. It's tradition in our family that once a recipe is bestowed upon you - you add one ingredient to make it yours. My grandmother added the paprika and passed this recipe on to my mom. My mom added the bacon and when mom passed it on to me, I added the green chilies. This one is a must-make for your next gathering. What will you add to make it yours? — Provided by Erin Puariea Culinary Specialist, on behalf of Physicians Mutual Insurance
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 3-1/2 to 4 pounds baking potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons green onions or chives
- 1 small can chopped green chilies
- 8 to 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Scrub unpeeled potatoes and bake at 400° for 40 minutes or until slightly firm. Cool overnight or few hours in fridge. Peel and grate potatoes.
- In a large pan, heat butter and 2 cups cheese over low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese is barely melted. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream, green onions, chilies, bacon, salt and pepper.
- Fold mixture into potatoes. Pour into lightly greased 2 1/2-qt. casserole; sprinkle with remaining cheese and paprika. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes until lightly browned.
Originally published as Cheesy Potatoes in Spring 2015 - Cooking School
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.