This sandwich doubles up on melty cheese, but the star of the show is the sweet and salty date-bacon jam. It makes for a truly grown-up version of grilled cheese. —Kathy Cooper, Tucson, Arizona
Recommended: 62 Quick Recipes to Cozy Up to This Winter
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 ounces pitted dates, chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 round (8 ounces) Brie cheese, rind removed and softened
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium heat until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low;
- cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is deep golden brown and caramelized, 35-40 minutes, adding garlic during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Return bacon to skillet; add next five ingredients. Stir well. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- For sandwiches, combine cheeses, mixing well. Layer four slices of bread with cheese mixture, 2 tablespoons date-bacon jam and remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter. In a nonstick skillet, toast sandwiches over medium-low heat until golden brown and cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes per side. Cover and refrigerate remaining jam; save for another use. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Gourmet Grilled Cheese with Date-Bacon Jam in Taste of Home April/May 2018