- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 9 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, place broccoli and water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute chicken in 3 tablespoons butter until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute onion in remaining butter until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth and wine. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; stir in cheese until blended.
- Drain pasta and broccoli; add to onion mixture. Add chicken; heat through. Season with pepper.
1-1/3 cups: 487 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 910mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
- Jul 30, 2012
I used 4 oz. of cheese and it was more than enough for this dish. I think adding mushrooms would be a good idea. My husband loved it but I'm not quite sold on it yet. Maybe after some tweaking I'd like it more. I liked it better reheated the next day for lunch.
- Dec 22, 2011
No comment left
- May 30, 2011
made it for supper tonight, I'm sorry but will not make it again, didn't have much flavor or appearance, I used 1 cup of gorgonzola, maybe it needed more, used broccoli and mushrooms, and the rest the same, whatever was left over, I threw out, just couldn't see myself eating the leftovers. made many great recipes over the years, but definitely didn't care for this
- May 24, 2011
Cheese over took this dish
- Apr 17, 2011
What is the best kind of white wine to use in a recipe like this?
- Mar 23, 2011
No comment left
- Jan 29, 2010
This was really scrumptious, fast and easy! (the latter two being very important right now as we have a new baby and limited kitchen) However, if I make it again, I will use half the onion, at most. I really like onion, but this was just way too much - definitely the dominant flavor. I used frozen broccoli instead of fresh. I also used the whole box of penne (6 cups dry) and it was perfect for the amount of sauce this makes. The chicken was really tender and juicy, too!
- Dec 23, 2009
I added mushrooms and next time I would add more broccoli. It was a definite hit with the family. Son-in-law asked if there were leftovers so he could take to work for lunch!
- Oct 21, 2009
I thought this recipe is a keeper, the only thing I did different was went half of the amount of cheese since gorgonzola is a strong cheese, though I might add mushrooms to it as well next time. I am looking forward to the left overs tomorrow :)