Gorgonzola Chicken Penne
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 9 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, place broccoli and water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute chicken in 3 tablespoons butter until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute onion in remaining butter until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth and wine. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; stir in cheese until blended.
- Drain pasta and broccoli; add to onion mixture. Add chicken; heat through. Season with pepper.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 487 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 910mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Jul 30, 2012
I used 4 oz. of cheese and it was more than enough for this dish. I think adding mushrooms would be a good idea. My husband loved it but I'm not quite sold on it yet. Maybe after some tweaking I'd like it more. I liked it better reheated the next day for lunch.
May 30, 2011
made it for supper tonight, I'm sorry but will not make it again, didn't have much flavor or appearance, I used 1 cup of gorgonzola, maybe it needed more, used broccoli and mushrooms, and the rest the same, whatever was left over, I threw out, just couldn't see myself eating the leftovers. made many great recipes over the years, but definitely didn't care for this
May 24, 2011
Cheese over took this dish
Apr 17, 2011
What is the best kind of white wine to use in a recipe like this?
Jan 29, 2010
This was really scrumptious, fast and easy! (the latter two being very important right now as we have a new baby and limited kitchen) However, if I make it again, I will use half the onion, at most. I really like onion, but this was just way too much - definitely the dominant flavor. I used frozen broccoli instead of fresh. I also used the whole box of penne (6 cups dry) and it was perfect for the amount of sauce this makes. The chicken was really tender and juicy, too!
Dec 23, 2009
I added mushrooms and next time I would add more broccoli. It was a definite hit with the family. Son-in-law asked if there were leftovers so he could take to work for lunch!
Oct 21, 2009
I thought this recipe is a keeper, the only thing I did different was went half of the amount of cheese since gorgonzola is a strong cheese, though I might add mushrooms to it as well next time. I am looking forward to the left overs tomorrow :)