Gooey Caramel Cashew Brownies
These ooey-gooey brownies are bursting with chocolate chips, gobs of caramel and plenty of cashews. —Marilyn Miller, Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- 1 cup chopped cashews
- 16 caramels
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in chocolate and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture just until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into two greased 9-in. square baking pans. Sprinkle with cashews. Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool on wire racks.
- In a small saucepan, combine caramels and milk. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until caramels are melted. Drizzle over brownies.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 198 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cashew Caramel Brownies in Country Extra January 2010