- 1 package (17-1/2 ounces) sugar cookie mix
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups mixed nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar cookie mix, pudding mix, butter and egg. Press into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until set.
- In a large saucepan, combine caramels and milk. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Remove from the heat. Stir in nuts and vanilla. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with butterscotch chips.
- Cool completely. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews forGooey Butterscotch Bars
"easy to make and big on flavor. This recipe is a keeper for sure! Thanks for sharing."
"Can you use caramel ice cream sauce instead of caramel candy?"
"I made these bars today and they are great! I was a little skeptical about how easy (messy) they would be to cut but I chilled them for about an hour and they cut perfectly. It's always a good thing when a recipe is easy to make, looks like the photo and tastes like the description and these do. The only problem I encountered was working with the crust -- it wasn't easy to spread in a 9 X 13 pan so I worked the dough into a ball and then rolled it out (like a pie crust) in a rectangular shape between two sheets of parchment paper - I transferred it to the pan and pressed it into the corners and it was much easier. Next time, I might try the suggestion to add chocolate. I also sprinkled a little sea salt on top of the bars for a "salted caramel" effect."
"First dish that we found much too sweet!"
"These are really good! I used roasted peanuts instead of mixed nuts and used half butterscotch chips and half semi sweet chocolate chips. I found its easier to keep these refrigerated, they stay a little less messy that way. I will definatly make these again!"
"these are so good I shared with several people and they all loved thesevery rich but so so good"
"Wonderfully delicious ! :-)"
"Delicious and very rich-tasting. A little bar goes a long way--you could easily cut these into 1" squares because they are so rich. I might cut the butterscotch chips to 3/4 c. when I make this again. The cookie mix crust helped make this recipe simple and fast. Wrapped caramels take forever to unwrap but Kraft now makes those same caramels in bead form. The package is only 11 oz., which isn't quite enough for this recipe but it's a real time-saver to not have to unwrap all of the caramels!"
"Thank you for all your imput I will be making them I see everyone like them I love taste of home recipes"
"OMG!!! These bars are the devil. They are sooooo good. Very gooey so I did stick them in the refrigerator after we were done with them and just pulled them back out when needed."