Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 cups fresh broccoli spears
- 1 hard-boiled large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket; place in a small saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, cut egg in half; remove yolk and finely crumble. Chop egg white; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; add the mayonnaise, cheese and Worcestershire sauce. Cook and stir until smooth. Remove from the heat; stir in reserved egg white. Spoon over broccoli; sprinkle with crumbled egg yolk.
Dec 15, 2013
This was delicious and different. It has an old fashioned elegance and my guess is that is originated in the 1940's or 1950's.
May 6, 2011
This was delightful.
Mar 2, 2009
This was very tasty and different! It's a keeper!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.