Golden Walnut Caramel Squares
A walnut-packed caramel tops a buttery crust in this decadent candy.—Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 40 min. + chilling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- CARAMEL LAYER:
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 2-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- Line a 9-in. baking pan with foil and grease the foil; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into prepared pan; prick crust with a fork. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until set and edges begin to brown.
- Immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Allow chips to soften for a few minutes, then spread over crust; set aside.
- In a large heavy skillet over medium-low heat, cook sugar until melted. Do not stir. Reduce heat to low; cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter, cream and corn syrup. Slowly pour in cooked sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in walnuts. Pour over prepared crust.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Drizzle over caramel layer. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Gently peel off foil; cut candy into squares.