- 3 leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium zucchini, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Grated Parmesan cheese and chives, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute leeks and carrots in butter for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the squash, broth, zucchini, salt, thyme and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool until lukewarm.
- In a blender, puree soup in small batches until smooth; return to pan. Stir in cream and milk; heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with cheese and chives if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forGolden Squash Soup
"One of the best Soups I've ever made. I used buttercup squash because that's what I had on hand. It was a huge hit with my picky eaters."
"This soup is sooooo delicious. I pretty much followed the recipe with just a wee bit of changes. I used 1/8tsp. of white pepper instead of 1/4tsp. I could always add more. I used 4T. butter instead of 5T. I used 1 1/2 c. fat free half & half and skipped the milk. My husband said it tasted restaurant quality! I make alot of soup and this is one more added to my recipes. Thank you for sharing this recipe. It's the BEST!"
"i take a shortcut and buy the already peeled and cubed butternut squash there's nothing wrong with it and makes my life easier :)"
"This recipe was in TOH many years ago and I have been making it ever since. I take a short cut - I cut the squash in halve and cook in either the microwave or oven until tender. This step can be done in advance. Scoop out the cooled squash and add to vegetables after they are cooked. Much easier than peeling and cubing a hard winter squash. I have also used a combination of winter squashes. It is healthy comfort food! It's the best squash soup recipe ever."
"1st time I've ever made squash soup. Very impressed! I think the leeks were very important!"
"I tried 4 different squash soup recipes from this website using winter squash, and this one was our favorite."
"This is the BEST butternut squash soup I have ever tasted! I have tasted many!!! We have made this so many times, we actually double or triple the recipe! It tastes the best when you use LEEKS! It is so mellow and yummy! But a few times I have substituted a large white onion for the leeks when they were a little expensive. If it is the first time you try this soup, make one batch and use LEEKS, you will love it! I also like that it is one of the few b-squash soups that does not use curry. Try this soup!TIP: How to cut and peel b-nut squash: Use a sharp knife. Cut off top and bottom of squash ends. Cut in half width wise, just above the spot where it gets bulbus. Then peel these two pieces. Then cut the bulbus one in half length wise and scoop out the pulp and seeds. Cut into chunks, then cut the other piece of squash into 1/2' disks and then cut into chunks! TaDa! done!"
"So very FLAVORFUL!"