Golden Squash Rolls
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed winter squash
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water; let stand 5 minutes. Add sugar, salt, eggs, squash and 3-1/2 cups flour; beat well. Beat in melted butter. By hand, gradually add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- 2. Cover and refrigerate 2-4 hours. (May refrigerate up to 3 days). Punch dough down; turn onto a floured surface. Divide dough in half; roll each into a 16-in. circle; spread with softened butter. Cut each circle into 16 wedges. Roll up from wide end and place with pointed end down on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
1 each: 166 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 211mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 20, 2014
These rolls are easy to make, yummy, and look impressive. A big hit at family gatherings. A good way to use squash.
Dec 31, 1969
These rolls are light and delicious!