Golden Secret Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, applesauce, bread crumbs, onion, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Add ground beef; mix well. Fold in cheese. Pat into a 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until no pink remains. Drain. Let stand a few minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 226 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 271mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
May 29, 2017
This recipe was delicious! My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the combination of cheese, applesauce, and nutmeg in this slightly unusual meatloaf, and I can't wait to make it again!
Jul 23, 2010
My Husband and Kids love this meatloaf !!
Aug 12, 2008
This is one of the better meatloaf recipes I've tried. Moist and good. The nutmey was a new flavor for me, so I should have decreased it to 1/4 tsp. Good basic recipe minus the nutmeg. Thanks for a good one!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.