Golden Potato Surprise
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 to 5 medium white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In large saucepan, melt butter. Saute onions until tender; stir in the flour, thyme, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; let cool slightly. Stir in the mayonnaise and mustard. Pour sauce over potatoes; transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 353 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 448mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 12, 2014
This dish is special enough for holidays, but I don't reserve it only for them. It turns ANY day into a special one!
Jan 22, 2014
I've been making this recipe for years! Was so sad when I misplaced my recipe card. Thank goodness for internet searches!
Jan 17, 2012
Love the thyme in this recipe which I always use more potatoes to increase the servings! I also use the entire 12 oz. package of bacon, leave the skin on the potatoes, and add a couple tablespoons of parmesan cheese. Absolutely amazing!
Jan 15, 2012
My whole family give this a thumbs up! They really liked it. However, I would increase the seasonings as previous reviewers have recommended. This is basically a creamed potato recipe, which is a nice change from other ways of preparing the spud. Will be making this again.
Dec 13, 2011
SUBLIME!!! It was amazing!! I tripled the thyme, mustard, and doubled the salt and pepper. Instead of dairy product I used chicken soup, and to replace the bacon, I used simulated bacon bits (2 tbsps). It was truely a hit!!!
Nov 30, 2011
A Thanksgiving hit! I substituted freshly chopped parsley (about a tablespoon) for the thyme.
Nov 25, 2011
My husband, adult daughter, and myself all loved this dish! I didn't have half and half so I used light cream, I did add about 1/2 cup grated Parmesan and a heaping tablespoon of minced garlic. I will certainly make this again.
Nov 22, 2011
Bad, bad stuff. Un-palatable, insipid and downright gross.One could have added much to this dish with a little forethought.
May 22, 2011
Had no taste what so ever...Only flavor to come through was the dijon mustard. Was embarrased because I made it for company
Jan 5, 2010
Wonderful!! I made this for Christmas this year, and everyone was very pleased.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.