Golden Potato and Ham Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes8 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 6 cups cubed Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 package (16 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/3 cup real bacon bits
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-14 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine flour and 1/4 cup milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese and remaining milk until cheese is melted. Add ham and bacon; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 401 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1666mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.
Feb 22, 2018
I felt that there was way too much Velveeta. I will cut it in half next time I make the soup or use some regular cheddar. I used 1/2 lb. bacon, cubed and cooked the carrots and onion for 5-6 minutes in bacon drippings (also, the last minute of that, added 2 cloves of minced garlic) before adding water, potatoes and seasonings to the pot. I would enjoy the soup without the cheese, even.
May 5, 2017
Delicious! I didn't use the bacon and still loved it.
Jan 2, 2017
Pretty much made it to recipe and I thought it was very good. Will definitely make it again.
Dec 27, 2016
This was good, but I think it needs some more seasoning. As some of the reviewers did, I left out the bacon - maybe that's why it was a little blah.
Mar 13, 2015
OMG!! I just made this soup and it is awesome!! I didn't use the Velveeta, but rather 10 oz of shredded triple cheddar. I am certain I will make this one again!
Feb 24, 2015
Loved this soup!! Although I modified it since I'm vegetarian. Instead of water and bouillon, I used No-Chicken Broth and doubled the liquid since 2 cups didn't seem to be enough. I also skipped the ham and bacon and lightened it with 2% Velveeta and 1% milk. Might have to try using a sharp cheddar plus cream cheese (as one comment noted) next time for a little twist!
Oct 24, 2014
Quick weeknight dinner. I didn't have golden potatoes or velveeta so I used regular potatoes, cheddar cheese and 4 oz. cubed cream cheese. Omitted the bacon bits and sprinkled with fresh cut parsley. Hubby kept saying "this is really good".
Feb 12, 2012
My whole family loved this! I made it with Club Sandwiches and a fruit salad. I would make this again.
Aug 9, 2011
Easy enough to make on a busy Monday evening for dinner.
Feb 26, 2011
I have made this soup over 15 times, does that tell you anything?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.