- 6 cups cubed Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 package (16 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/3 cup real bacon bits
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-14 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine flour and 1/4 cup milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese and remaining milk until cheese is melted. Add ham and bacon; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews forGolden Potato and Ham Soup
"I felt that there was way too much Velveeta. I will cut it in half next time I make the soup or use some regular cheddar. I used 1/2 lb. bacon, cubed and cooked the carrots and onion for 5-6 minutes in bacon drippings (also, the last minute of that, added 2 cloves of minced garlic) before adding water, potatoes and seasonings to the pot. I would enjoy the soup without the cheese, even."
"Delicious! I didn't use the bacon and still loved it."
"Pretty much made it to recipe and I thought it was very good. Will definitely make it again."
"This was good, but I think it needs some more seasoning. As some of the reviewers did, I left out the bacon - maybe that's why it was a little blah."
"OMG!! I just made this soup and it is awesome!! I didn't use the Velveeta, but rather 10 oz of shredded triple cheddar. I am certain I will make this one again!"
"Loved this soup!! Although I modified it since I'm vegetarian. Instead of water and bouillon, I used No-chicken Broth and doubled the liquid since 2 cups didn't seem to be enough. I also skipped the ham and bacon and lightened it with 2% Velveeta and 1% milk. Might have to try using a sharp cheddar plus cream cheese (as one comment noted) next time for a little twist!"
"My whole family loved this! I made it with Club Sandwiches and a fruit salad. I would make this again."
"I have made this soup over 15 times, does that tell you anything?"