Golden Onion Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions, quartered
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add onions; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat. Add cheese; heat just until cheese is melted (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 334 calories, 26g fat (16g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 702mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Jun 8, 2016
I've been making this recipe since it first appeared in the Taste of Home recipe book many yeas ago. I don't change a thing in this recipe. It's perfect the way it is! My Mom just bought me the ingredients to make a double batch yesterday and I'm off to make it for her today.
Dec 16, 2012
We were somewhat disappointed with this soup. How do you get the "golden" color? Was I supposed to caramelize the onions? You can't do that in 20 minutes. The recipe didn't call for pepper, herbs, or any seasoning. We didn't care for the stringy mozzarella cheese. Sorry, but this one didn't do it for us.
Jun 22, 2009
Try this soup!!This is one of the best and easiest soups I have ever made. It is a standing favorite with all of my friends and family. I usually add more onion than is called for for a little extra flavor.
Jan 10, 2009
This soup is my daughter's favorite. She always asks me to make it for her.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.