Golden Lemon Glazed Cheesecake
At our church, we give seven performances of a Living Christmas Tree every holiday season—then hold an open house after each one, I've served this lemony cheesecake at those gatherings for years, and it's always gotten raves.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 40 min. + chilling
- 2-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 small lemon, thinly slice, divided
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, sugar and butter. Press onto the bottom and 2 in. up the sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed until combined. Stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla just until blended. Pour into the crust. Return pan to baking sheet.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight.
- Set aside 1 lemon slice; coarsely chop the remaining lemon slices. In small saucepan, combine the chopped lemon and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Drain and discard liquid.
- In another saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch; stir in the remaining water until smooth. Add lemon juice and lemon pulp. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until thickened. Refrigerate until cooled, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the lemon glaze over the cheesecake; garnish with reserved lemon slice. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 316 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 211mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Golden Lemon-Glazed Cheesecake in Country Woman July/August 1991
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.