- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place pan on a wire rack.
- Combine the glaze ingredients; immediately pour over warm bread. Cool completely before removing from pan. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews forGolden Lemon Bread
"I made two loaves of this bread today and it is very good! I added a tablespoon of lemon zest to the batter, along with a teaspoon of lemon extract. The bread looks beautiful, has a wonderful aroma, and a tender crumb. The lemon glaze is perfect! Thank you for sharing your Grandmother's recipe, Marjorie Rose, it is definitely a keeper!"
"Yum... I was craving lemon bread and this came out gorgeous. Added 1 tsp lemon extract to the batter, used butter instead of shortening, and baked it for 50 minutes. If you use the proper sized loaf pan that is indicated in the recipe, then it shouldn't take longer than that!"
"I agree this is considered ?lemon bread? only due to the flavors added to the icing. In the bread, I added 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon lemon peel to enhance the bread with the lemon flavors. The bread was a hit in our home. A very moist and refreshing bread. The original magazine does say 55-60 minutes and definitely will need that amount of time to fully bake the bread."
"very good.. everyone liked it."
"I have made this recipe twice, and the second time I made some changes. I do not use shortening, so I substituted butter---it gives a better flavor. I also added one teaspoon of lemon extract to the batter. I lined the pan with parchment paper, which made it easier to remove the bread.My family and I really liked the tangy lemon glaze, and the bread itself was moist and tender."
"It is considered to be a lemon bread because of the lemon icing."
"It is considered to be a lemon bread because of the lemon icing. "
"There is not any lemon in the actual bread? I dont get it."