Golden Honey Rolls
These golden-brown rolls are famous at our family gatherings. Once, upon noticing the pan was empty, a disappointed relative asked me, “Could you make more next year?” —Ellen Krueger, Canton, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg white
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the oil, honey, egg, egg yolk, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Dough will be sticky.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide into 20 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Divide between two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Combine the topping ingredients; brush 3 tablespoons over rolls. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Brush with remaining topping.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 171 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Golden Honey Rolls in Country Woman Christmas 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.