VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages (15 ounces each) golden raisins
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1-1/3 cups diced candied pineapple (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup chopped candied cherries (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Place raisins in a large bowl; cover with boiling water and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- In another large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cream of tartar, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in the walnuts, pineapple, cherries, coconut and raisins.
- Spoon into nine greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 300° for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 9 loaves (5 slices each).
Originally published as Golden Fruitcake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1999, p45